I made it again tonight, my friend had made it and would not quit talking about it so I gave in to the temptation. Before I did so I decided to level my oven rack. Apparently that was the problem with the last one coming out all lopsided and uneven.
If you have an unlevel oven rack here is a quick-fix I learned from the weird but smart Alton Brown on the Food Network. Put FOIL shims under the rack! I went and found D's level, put it in the center of the rack and then made foil shims to shimmy up the one side! How fun is that!? It worked too! I took pictures. Look how pretty & evenly it baked!
Umm, one thing to keep in mind...don't leave your husband's level in the oven while it preheats, and if you do, put a spoonful of the fresh, warm frosting in his mouth and THEN tell explain to him why the level you just handed him is a little warm. :) He didn't mind but I'm thinking that can't be good for the fluid inside the level...not to mention the plastic on the outside. :) Notice the red coils...but not my messy oven.
Another thing to keep in mind while making this cake...IF you're going to have your computer nearby (with the recipe) I would recommend making sure it's a safe distance from any splattering that might occur. And again, when telling your husband, another spoonful of the frosting. :)
Umm, one more little 'lesson' I learned. Make sure you buy the ONE pound bag or box of powdered sugar. I bought the 2lb bags accidentally. Then I had to figure out how to get EXACTLY half so I decided I'd measure it. On the bag it says 32 oz so then I thought-this will be easy...just 2 cups right. Nope!! Check out the picture, it was DEFINITELY more than 4 cups total. So I poured the excess until I had just 4 cups in the measuring cup...then took half of 4 cups and then half of what was left...which just so happened to be another 4 cups so if indeed you DO find yourself in this situation just know that 32oz of powdered sugar is 8 cups. :) So put in 4 cups and you'll save yourself a lot of time and a sticky mess. You will have to wipe your countertop more than once to get the sticky coating off.
In response to Amy's comment, I know 8oz is a cup but 32oz would be 4 cups and I wanted HALF of the bag that was 32oz (2lbs instead of the 1 that I needed) sooooooooo half of 4 cups would be 2 cups and 2 cups is 16oz. :) What I'm saying is, that typically measurement isn't the case with powdered sugar. It was a 32oz bag and measured out as 8 cups...so apparently when measuring powdered sugar each 4oz measures as a cup. :) It's confusing, I know...but it's ok, I have it straight in my head and the frosting was delicious!


3 comments:
Or you can just pinch half of the bag and then dump the top half in the bowl like I did...
But Lari! I like to be precise...wanted to make sure it came out perfect. Yum! It sure did!
A Cup is 8 oz. Mary, not 16 oz.
Amy
Post a Comment