Our latest routine at night is one that I absolutely treasure. Now, it comes with a bit of a challenge b/c it's technically a discipline thing but I'm loving it...let me explain. :)
When we put C down at night she likes to stall and call us back in for random things that she doesn't really "need" like a kleenex or for us to scratch her back or another drink or whatever. While we're working on the discipline side of that she and I have developed a little habit that I love. On nights where she just seems to have so much going on I started by laying down in the bed with her and saying, "Do you have a lot on your mind that you want to talk about?" And so she'd talk. This happened a few times sparatically but now it's our routine each night. I climb in the bed and lay there cuddling with my girl and we just chat. I LOVE 3-year-old chats by the way. Now that we've done it more often she has started saying, "I have more things to talk to you." :) So I'll lay down and we'll talk. Sometimes it's about our day or what her favorite part of the day was...sometimes it's about our family or people she has seen recently. It almost ALWAYS includes her telling me the following secret: "tomorrow we can go to the park with Johan & Dayana!" :) She loves her cousins. It's always random and often about nothing but the key is - we're talking. I want my girl to always feel like she can talk to me about anything and everything and nothing. I love it that we've started this habit and I plan on continuing it throughout her life. I can remember climbing into my mom's bed on Saturday mornings and laying there chatting about stuff with my sisters...those are some good memories and to this day I can talk to my mom about anything. Now, I'm sure there was a period during teenage years that I didn't so much but I want C to know she can trust me and that I'll listen.
Just to give you an example of the joy she brings here is how our conversation tonight went:
C: I have more to talk to you.
Me: Ok,what do you want to talk about?
C: Umm.......umm......I want to talk about the 3 on my wall....we let the air out and it's a big 3......
Me: Yep, it sure is. (the 3 she's referring to is her big silver birthday balloon in the shape of a 3)
C: I have more things to talk to you...umm......I like playing with my trains and cars today.....I like my 3...and I like drawing and drawing....hey! want to sing a song!?
Me: (smiling) Sure...what would you like to sing
C: How about TWO songs!!! The ladybug and pumpkin songs.
And so we sang
C: HEY! Want to sing another song? Kitty has a song.
Me: Ok, what does Kitty want to sing
C: I'll ask him
Much whispering between her and kitty
C: Kitty say he wants to sing just one song.....umm......the ladybug song.
and so we sing again
C: I have one more song from church to sing....
Me: Ok, what is it, this will be our last one
C: Ok I have one more song and I have more things to talk to you.
:) So we sang "Yes Lord" then hugged for a bit longer and I left.
11.07.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment