4.15.2008

How Do You Teach Your Child To Spit?!?

Calling all moms here...please, someone please tell me how is it that we are supposed to teach our cutie to spit?! We've stepped up to the regular toothpaste...ah yes, the training toothpaste says for 2 and under and well, she's 2 & 1/2 now so I thought it was time to make the transition. I've been waiting to do this though b/c she can't spit! We've had some intense training the last few days, every time we brush our teeth we show her how we spit, then we have her practice spitting, and she swallows the toothpaste EVERY time! Then I thought, WATER! We can practice with water first! Yeah, she swallows it too...even though we're both cheering her on as we stand on either side of her saying, "ok, ok...now take a drink...but don't swallow it! Keep it in your mouth, now SPIT!" and then we watch her spit absolutely nothing into the sink. AGAIN! "Ok, ok...take a drink...DON'T SWALLOW!!! now SPIT!" And so she does again...spits into the sink-nothing comes out of her mouth-not even drops! It's ADORABLE! BUT for real, how do we teach her to spit??? I even showed her in her mouth how the new toothpaste makes more bubbles...and to spit those out...but she swallowed them...then spit. It's quite the moment if you could only see us cheering and hurriedly telling her to ... drink...now spit!! real quick...and then again...and again...and again. So much so that she now thinks drinking/swallowing water and fake spitting is an activity that we do. Like yesterday, I was making dinner and she was in the bathroom on her stool and said, "I want to do this!" I said, "What? You want to brush your teeth?" She said, "No this, with the water!" Yeah, she wanted to take multiple drinks and 'spit.'

At least it's cute.

No comments: