11.15.2007

A NEW RULE...

Occasionally, as new parents, D & I find ourselves realizing that it's time to create a new rule. These are typically rules that we really just didn't realize needed to be a spoken rule until C 'breaks' the rule. At that moment we take the time to explain to her that whatever she's done is in fact a no-no even though we've never told her that before and that if she does it again she'll get a time-out. So far our new rules have been things like..."Stay IN your carseat until WE take you out...now put your arms back under the buckle." & "Hey, sweetie...it's a no-no to take all of the kleenex out of the box."

The other night, friends, was a little different for us. I mean, I guess I always knew she'd color on the walls or try to get out of her carseat...but the other night she did something that we just didn't see coming. It was about 10:30 or so. After being asleep for a good hour...maybe even longer...C started crying/fussing. It was a weird cry...just interesting and different. I went back to her room to see what was up. This is what I walked in to see...
Me: What happened?
C: I TAKE A JAMMIES OFF MOMMA!
Me: Why did you do that C?
C: I want new jammies! I take jammies off & I throw down.
Me: I see that...pause...I turned to the door and said, umm D...we have a bit of a situation back here...and bring the camera! :)
So we had some discussions with her and told her this was not acceptable and that she needs to leave her jammies ON. Bless her heart, her skin was all chilly, I'm sure she took them off and then had been sleeping in just her diaper and then woke up cold. She was still pretty sleepy, seemed a little frustrated and a little disoriented. We put her new snugglier jammies on and got her back in bed. It was literally one of the warmest days of the season so I have no idea why she wanted her snuggly jammies! Anyway, the next morning I decided to bring up the issue again and just remind her of our new expectation. I do that often when she does something late at night, we discuss it again in the morning to make sure she'll get it.

Me: Do you remember what happened last night?
C: Yeah momma!! I take a jammies off...pause...and momma take a picture!
lol Umm yeah, I always knew there would come a day when I would need to stop capturing these moments on the camera b/c that probably sends the wrong message. You know, NO you can't do this...but hang on while I take your picture! :) I think that day is now here. SUCH a bummer too b/c some of these things that she does are so stinking hilarious and cute. I literally got the giggles all over again while going to sleep that night...and actually am giggling again as I type. It was just too funny.

No comments: