8.07.2007

Today...

I stayed up late, C got up early...and so our day began. I was sleepy & she was sleepy. We literally just vegged for like the first 2 hours of the day, snuggling some, watching Dora some, playing a little, snuggling some more...me hearing her say, "WAIT UP MOMMY WAIT UP!" if I tried to shut my eyes for a couple of minutes.

Then at around 10:00 we were both up and moving and playing. She was having an absolute blast going into her room and shutting the door with the lights out, she wanted it to be "daroik" so I turned them out for her. Then she'd stay in there with me on the other side of the door listening to her jabber and play and crack herself up. We had a "party" and danced and twirled and she even got to hang upside down, it was fun times!

Then we came back out to the living room and she said, "Watch Dora?" I told her no because we had watched a few Dora's this morning and I just felt like she didn't need to watch it again. And this is how the rest of the conversation went...

"Pease...watch Dora?"
"No C, you don't need to watch Dora again, but I WILL read you your Dora book or another book."
"No book...Watch Dora! PEASE!"
"No C. We're not watching another Dora."

"I SAID PEASE!!!!!!!!"

For real, she said it in the tone and everything that you'd imagine! Totally caught me off guard, where did she learn that!? She's not even 2 yet! The answer was still no, I tried to explain to her that she doesn't always get what she wants when she says please...a lesson she doesn't understand just yet.

We've been teaching her a lot of lessons lately. Lessons in sharing, using her words instead of whining, that throwing a fit is not effective, using good manners and many more. As a first-time parent I have found myself thinking, "YEA! SHE GETS IT!" when she makes the right choice. Like I really thought, 'cool, that's over, she's being all polite now and will be forever...' but then usually find myself the next day or a couple of days later (or sometimes just minutes later) reviewing the same lesson with her again. It'd be so much easier on everyone if she'd just 'get it' the first time. :)

God probably says the same thing about me, if I'd just "get it" and stop trying it my way or the wrong way at times life would be so much easier. This parenting thing, boy it's a blessing and a huge responsibility and while we're very intentional about how we teach C the necessary lessons in life, we are learning that God is also teaching us. I'm thankful for it all. As much as she needs to learn what we're teaching her we certainly need to learn what God is teaching us.

No comments: