7.29.2007

No Nap = LOOOOOOONG Day

12:45 - We laid C down for her nap.
12:45-1:51 - C laid in her crib jabbering and talking happily and making the monkey sound.
1:51 - D went in to see what was up, here's what I overheard on the monitor.

D: "What are you doing sweetheart?"

C: "I LAYING DOWN!!!...pause...& BLA LAYING DOWN TOO & BUNNY IS LAYING DOWN....& NAY NAY & SNIPPPY LAYING DOWN TOO!!" - totally chipper (those are her 'guys' that she sleeps with)

D: "You're supposed to be sleeping."

C: "Hi Dadda!" (all chipper still)

D: "Hi C"

C: "I love you too Daddy!" (She just started saying this & it is totally melting our hearts & making us teary almost everytime-ESPECIALLY when she says it first-she has said, "Love you" but is just now adding our name to the end of it and 'too'.)

D: "I love you too C"

So he picked her up. I was thinking, maybe she was hungry. We fed her, changed her, tried to put her back down...sooooooooo sad....got her back up, she said she had to potty...let her go potty...put her back down...soooooooooooooooo sad....got her back up....waited about 20 minutes, put her back down again...soooooooooooooooooooo sad.....so we got her up for good. It was 4:00 by now, we decided we'd just keep her up and put her to bed early tonight. Holy cow was it a LONG afternoon/evening! We brought it on ourselves by picking her up so much - a mistake we won't be repeating anytime soon. She was oh my goodness so irrational, crying about everything, & sometimes whining & fussing and sometimes she was flat out crying over the silliest of things. Want some examples?

She cried when:
  • I wouldn't let her play with the lotion.
  • We told her no, she couldn't play on the computer.
  • D took away the jumpdrive computer thing of his that she was playing with after pulling out his desk chair and climbing up on it to play with everything on his desk. (You really can't look away for a moment!)
  • I suggested that she eat a complete dinner and not just pickles (pick-oos).
  • We told her she couldn't climb onto the table.
  • Her babydoll fell out of the toy stroller.
  • She couldn't find her 'pieces' (puzzle pieces that were literally right in front of her).

She cried when I left the room, when D left the room...and would even cry as she tromped out of any room.

It wasn't a constant cry, off and on but she was just a mess...so we decided to go for a drive, that would help right?! She'd SURELY fall fast asleep. We got into the car & she started something new. It was the weirdest sound we've ever heard come out of her little mouth! It was like a repeating angry grunt that was accompanied by a very stern look and the kicking of both legs. It gave D the giggles. Mind you, she wasn't in any pain, didn't 'need' anything, but was just simply in a bad mood. She threw the french fry I gave her, threw her juice, even threw her favorite toy. We decided to take the Super Nanny's advice and ignore that behavior. FINALLY after 10 grueling minutes of her grunting and making weird noises to try to get our reaction she went to sleep. We enjoyed 40 minutes of peace and quiet and then it happened...we stopped the car. She immediately woke up and then had yet another meltdown (so sad, so sad) because we wouldn't let her out of her carseat while we were driving home. She cried all the way home (like 2 minutes-felt like FOREVER) even though I was offering her her favorite "PO-CHAY" (Chipotle). She stopped briefly, then cried on the way in the house b/c she wanted to drive Daddy's car, then cried again when we walked past my car b/c she wanted to drive it, then when we walked in & I thought she'd surely be happy to be home she exclaimed, "HOME!" and then cried! Holy cow.

There is just something about days like today that zap the energy right out of ya! I wasn't reacting to her but on the inside man I was frustrated. Now, if she HAD been sick or hungry or hurting I totally would've had a different attitude but plain and simple she was tired...she didn't want to sleep & was having a bad attitude as her exhaustion took over. She just didn't know what to do with herself. I cuddled up with her and tried to help her calm down but she was just so tired & so bothered. I decided to give her a bath, that's one of her favorite things. I did, she loved it, it was all good for about 30 minutes while I just let her play. The rest of the evening was a little better, then we put her to bed and I think she was asleep before we even left the room. Sheww...the battle is over...for today. :)

Definitely one of the 'worst' days to date from our sweetie who rarely has a bad attitude-even when she hasn't had adequate sleep. It happens to the best of us.

All of that being said we had one of the cutest moments with our little C today-of all days! Right before bed as she was sitting on the potty fussing about this and that she spotted my sunglasses on the sink. I gave them to her after she asked nicely (on the first try...yea!) and she put them on and said:

"I PRETTY TUTE!"

And ya know what? She is pretty tute. That's the cool thing about being a parent, no matter how nasty she acts, or how bad her attitude is, or how many things she throws at us, or how much she disobeys us...without any hesitation we love her & we love her more than ever.

Praise God that He still loves us on our 'long' days.

No comments: