7.24.2007

First Annual Rib Fest

Columbus has an annual Rib Fest by the river downtown. This year we decided that would be another fun tradition to start with C. We just want her to have the opportunity to enjoy all kinds of experiences. We decided to go Saturday evening w/ Lynn (Trevor is in Columbia on a mission trip) when the weather was just perfect. We left at a little before 7:30 thinking we'd be home in time for her to go to bed by 9:30...not so much. We got there before 8, D got in line for ribs, Lynn & I got in 2 lines, C & I for fresh potato chips and Lynn for lemonade. 45 minutes later we had our chips








and drink & D was still waiting for ribs, we kept in touch by phone. We went down and sat on the hill (umm, since it was our FIRST Rib Fest we didn't realize we should've brought chairs and a blanket to sit in/on.) We picked our spot on the hill and I decided to keep C in the stroller...1. she could easily run all over and I'm not into chasing my 22 month old through crowds of people eating ribs...and 2. there was goose poop EVERYWHERE! Gross!!! It wasn't fresh but yuck, it was there. Lynn & I had no choice, we did it...we sat in goose poop & waited on D. We went through an entire package of wipes, very few were needed for the ribs but I would lay a wipe down to put my hand on when I needed to change positions, and to set the camera on, etc. and C was eating fresh chips w/ cheese, a couple of sticky lemons, and even some lemon zest...so she went through a good number of wipes before the ribs even arrived.

After being in line for AN HOUR AND A HALF D finally had our ribs! Bless his heart. We missed him! Finally he was with us though & MMM! The ribs were good but holy cow that was a long wait, notice the change in the sky by the time he arrived. SOOOO needless to say she didn't get in bed by 9:30 but she DID have some yummy ribs at 9:30! She LOVED the fresh chips & she thought the ribs were a very fun way to eat but I think her favorite food of the evening was the lemon...she ate a whole lemon (2 halves) and a little lemon zest as well. :) Next year we're going to go on a Friday morning and plan to get there at like 11am when most people are at work rather than on a Saturday night at supper time. :) She did GREAT even though we kept her in the stroller the entire time, I was prepared for a meltdown at any moment but she had fun looking at the big city, the river & of course the moon. Looking forward to next year's Second Annual Rib Fest!

No comments: